Avast behind! Here be a fun quiz for all ye land lubbery types out there. I’m goin’ to give ye descriptions of some salty seadogs, Capn’s all, an’ all ye have to do is to match the description with the Cap’n.
Sound easy? Well of course it sounds easy! Ye’ve been to school an’ college and wot not while some of us bilge rats have been afore the mast since we wuz knee high to a lanyard.
The correct answers will go into the Capn’s Hat and be shuffled and some benighted swab will win an autographed copy of Erastes’ only watery novel, Mere Mortals, Lily-livered son of a yellow-bellied dog that she is. Send her your answers to Erastes at Erastes dot com. If ye don’t get them all ye’ll have to walk the plank the one with the most correct answers will win. CLOSES 30TH SEPTEMBER
Good luck ye swabs!
1. Went to Eton. Eyes turn red at certain times.
2. Singleminded. Cruel to mammals, fancies going around by way of Perdition’s Flame…
3. Had one eye on the girls. And a hand in a famous Victory. Famously pickled.
4. Went to sea at 7. Sailing master on the Resolution at 22. Was fond of rum. Annoyed the Aussies.
5. “He is all teeth and curls, but with a pleasant, open face; his coat is of a better cut than everybody else's, and his beard is fantastic and glossy, and the ends of it are twisted with expensive looking ribbons.”
6. It’s said when the Navy decapitated him, he sailed around his ship with no head.
7. Had a face as big as a ham, and hopped like a bird
8. His ship is the Black Pig
9. Uses salty language such as "Billions of bilious blue blistering barncles!”
10. Organises by whistling, tore down a flag, married a nun.